March 20, 2017

Laurel's Bead Box- Dreaming of Mermaids

Who doesn't love a curated box of beads where all you have to do is pretty much assemble the beads?! I certainly do because it takes the guess work out of it, makes things a bit quicker,  and easier!


Meet my friend Laurel of Laurel Moon Jewelry. She's the mastermind behind the Laurel's Bead Box- be sure to follow her on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LaurelsBeadBox/

Laurel was kind enough to let me try a box- and she sent me the current blue green Dreaming of Mermaids themed box.  I agreed to review this box because I have been a long time fan of Laurel's etched copper pieces, and you may have seen them pop up in my designs in the past year. I kind of figured whatever it was she had up her sleeve was going to be great, and I was right.

First of all. Get a load of this- it comes in this awesome reusable round box. I LOVE that!



But the magic, is INSIDE!


Taken from the ETSY listing:
This is the special edition "Dreaming of Mermaids" debut box! It contains:

*a handmade ceramic wave pendant by Melanie Brooks from Earthenwood Studios

*a handmade ceramic "Dream" pendant by Diane Hawkey

*a handmade pewter mermaid bead by Green Girl Studios

*a handmade etched copper mermaid pendant featuring an amazing design by Cynthia Thornton from Green Girl Studios and etched by me - Laurel Moon Copper

*an assortment of freshwater pearls

*an assortment of apatite, cooperite, and amazonite semiprecious stone beads

*an assortment of faceted Czech glass rondelles

*an assortment of shell pendants

*an antiqued copper beadcap

*an assortment of vintage German glass beads

*a thread tassel

That's an exceptional collection of components that all coordinate together for the Mermaid theme! I love a good ocean theme, especially in the dead of winter when all I can think about is having sun on my face. This box retails for $40. You could also check out the rest of the Etsy shop to get any other additional beads and components to go with this collection- Laurel has a large inventory of premium beads!

It didn't take me long to get creating with this set, and I sat down and created two pieces so far. I haven't used all of the components yet. I still have a few more things to work with but have set them aside so I could hurry up and get this blog post up. 

I made this necklace first- using the Pewter mermaid pendant, pearls, stones, etched copper pendant, and large shell pendant. I brought in some other freshwater pearls and clasp from my stash to finish the piece off.


This awesome Curlique hook and eye clasp is from Stinky Dog Beads- and I pulled it out and wondered how the heck I was supposed to use it. I think it could be used with leather and some glue. But I decided to use some brass wire and created attachments with wire wraps.


The second piece I created was a bracelet, using the Diane Hawkey Dream charm, and thread tassel. I pulled in some glass drop seed beads, and some glow-y matte sea glass beads from Stinky Dog Beads. The vintage shell shaped button pulls it all together! I really love both of these pieces!



All in all a really fun collection to work with. If you are looking for a bead kit with EVERYTHING you need to finish a piece of jewelry, this isn't it. This is a collection of focals and beads that can be used with other beads and components such as findings and wire- from your own collection- finish a piece(s) of jewelry. But, most of us have this stuff on hand, right?? I think it's a fun way to challenge yourself, and get thinking a little bit outside the box. I probably could have tried using all of the components together in one piece, but instead decided to make several pieces instead. 

There are kits available in Laurel's Etsy shop now ! Snag yours now and be sure to tag your finished pieces on social media #laurelsbeadbox so that we can see all the different interpretations!

1 comment:

  1. I hopped over to your blog to see your BSSP post and ended up buying one of these bead boxes. Great advertising!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry to have to turn on the word verification here, but I got fed up with spammers comments!

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
Buddha