IndieMade.com

I figured, why not try out Indiemade.com to see how I like it. It's a place to start your own commerce/website. They do offer a free 30 day trial, so I have nothing to lose.

 I took some screenshots of the site I created. There are a lot of cool options, themes, layouts, to make your website your own. I have a Welcome page where I will eventually post a quote or maybe some sort of introduction. I am still having this love affair of an idea of having tin, cording, and jewelry all in one place. I'm not sure if it will work.




 Here is the SHOP portion of the site. Thumbnails, when clicked- open up to a nice large image with up to 5 photos, and a place to put details for each piece. Each item gets its own social media buttons but there are a few at the top right of the website.



 There is a nice place to include photo galleries. I believe you can add several albums as well. I've only added a few pics to get a feel for it.





 There is a place to blog, but with several years of posts in at Blogger, I'm not ready to make the move just yet. So I included a link for people to follow that will redirect them to my blogger blog.




One of my favorite features is the Events page where I can add in different events, upcoming shows, and whatever else I want to keep track of like maybe the Jade Scott update or magazine deadlines!

I haven't used every available feature. You can add several other pages to your site, calling them whatever you like. You can change the order of how they are seen on your blog. I could include a page to show advertising, testimonials, tutorials, Press etc!

There some aspects that I don't like about Indiemade compared to Etsy or Shopify. The uploading of photos is one at a time and time consuming. There isn't gift certificate options. There is limited options for shipping which could pose a real problem.  I would actually like them to offer more layout options for complete customization- would love to include larger photographs. But that's really it! For $19.99 a month for 300 listings * A SUPER GREAT DEAL* compared to what I am currently paying for Shopify, Etsy, and commissions on sales at both places.  There is nothing to pay Indiemade except the low monthly fee.  This really could save me a boatload of money a month. And these days, I'm all about saving money. We've downgraded our cars, combined our vehicle insurance onto one, and have refinanced some large loans- why not downsize to one site and save money here too?


Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your insights and experiences with online selling, Lorelei. It has been very informative and helpful. I know there are many people who have these same concerns, and also it is educational for those of us who have not yet started to sell online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...looks great! Love the header with the birds. Nicely done. Shop looks fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. Hope you will let us know what you learn. A little question if you don't mind. I notice on your Etsy that your descriptions are very brief. Do you think the item description has much effect on the buyers decision to buy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are probably wise just like the little owls you love. I really hope it all works out for you. Have no doubt it will. Whatever happens I will still follow you. You are one of my fav's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I have just discovered indiemade and I am using the free trial. I am now thinking of moving from etsy to there. How have you found your sales and views on indiemade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it helps to have a blog and facebook, to direct people to the indiemade shop. I'm thinking the views would be really low otherwise.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing all of this great information Lorelei! I've had an Etsy shop for awhile and have contemplated setting up my own website but was fearful I wouldn't be able to draw enough traffic to it but I think the time is right based on what you have shared. I love your work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm sorry to have to turn on the word verification here, but I got fed up with spammers comments!

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
Buddha