Cones with Keirsten Giles of Cerebral Dilettante


Cones. Cones Cones. They can do so many different things, and be worn so many different ways! But first, since I always like to teach ya'all something here at the blog (Ha not really, but just bear with me) I found this little fun fact while searching wikipedia this morning. Apparently there is a little phenomena called Cone-ing.

Cone-ing
Cone-ing is when a person orders an ice-cream cone at a drive-thru and when the order is ready accepting the cone from the ice cream end instead of the cone. This will here hereby confuse the drive-thru attendant.
Son: "Dad, can I have a dollar?" Dad: "Why?" Son: "Because I'm bored and want to go cone-ing with my friends." Dad: "Ok, but here's another dollar...save at least one cone for me!"

For more examples just google "cone-ing" there have been many "coners," one who participates in cone-ing, that have created videos!



LOL Hilarious. I want to see this done. I haven't searched online for videos yet, but you can bet I will by the morning's end.


Okay back to business.

I approached Keirsten about participating in the next blog challenge. She stepped up to the plate and sent me 6 sets of Copper bead cones.  They are beautiful and unique! This is kind of an experiment though, so don't expect to go to Keirsten's shop to buy up a lot of cones. She does occasionally sell components in her shop, but because of the long and tedious task of making some of these things, she can not possibly keep up with that demand.  If you'd like to see some of the other components Keirsten makes, check out her blog. SO, if you are looking to buy some cones, like for example because you want to participate in this challenge but aren't picked, please check out these cones at  AD Adornments, or do a search on Etsy for handmade bead cones and you will probably find many to choose from.

Each set of cones is different. Some are etched with a floral pattern, some are even etched with words. There are 2 pairs that are just plain, and 3 pairs that have a curled edge.  Each participant will receive a random pair.

In this blog challenge, I will be 5 random winners to win a pair of bead cones from the photos shown here. I have my pair all picked out.  Leave one comment on this post telling me why you want to participate in such a challenge, and what you like best about participating in blog challenges such as these!
You must have a blog to participate. Once the participants are picked, I will mail out the cone pairs, and we will need to get started asap. I am picking a fairly early reveal date for this challenge,  Aug. 1st. On that date, we will blog about our final designs, and include links to all participants. Please make sure you get your links to me by Aug. 1st. so that I can distribute them to all of the participants.


ONE FINAL SUGGESTION! 
Use your IMAGINATIONS! Come up with something NEW! Stretch your skills, think outside the box, and come up with something no one has done before! If it doesn't work out, that's fine! I want to see participants really be challenged with these cones. I think there are so many options with this type of component- lariats, tassels, several strand pieces, earrings, use ribbon! Use cording! Create a pendant using the cones! Do something FUN and CREATIVE! And trust your FIRST instincts!

If you are wanting to join in, go ahead and leave your comment now. I will announce the participants on Friday morning, July 13th.




Comments

  1. What a great challenge Lorelei! I like to toss my name into the hat for these sorts of challenges simply because it challenges me. I've made jewelry, and have been creating other items for years ('cause I'm old) and mostly like the results. However, for as long as I've been creating, it's ALWAYS a challenge - I assemble, disassemble, add, take away; it's never an easy process for me. I learn something new each time I sit down to create.

    I already have visions forming in my head about these cones - and they don't involve traditional jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look like really fun pieces to get creative with! I'm new to doing blog challenges but I'm loving being part of the community - he bigger idea. Plus it's a lot of fun to rise to the challenge and I find the feasible helps me actually get the ideas out into physical pieces. Thanks for the chance to play along

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me in too, please. I'm also new to the challenges/blogsphere, but I love the chance to strech myself. If left to my own devices I tend to choose favorite shapes/colors/metals, but these challenges force me to work with things that I would NEVER choose for myself. It's sort of like trying new foods, sometimes you find new favorites, sometimes you'll never touch that stuff again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please count me in, and here's why: First, I just love anything Keirsten makes. And Second, I love doing challenges because they keep me creating and inspired, and using beads and components I might not have otherwise purchased. Plus I love meeting new people through these challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love the opportunity to play along, thanks for the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what cone-a-licous pieces! I would love to try to create with this lovely coney goodness! A good stretch everyone once in a while is good for the soul! It helps you go new leaves :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Keirsten's cones and would love to play along. These would definitely be a challenge to work with for me but I would love the chance. Great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun challenge. I love Keirsten's designs and her components and would love a chance to play with these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keirsten and I challenge each other at Scrabble every day. Now I want her to challenge me with her cones! I'm a huge fan of her masterful talents with both metal and words, and I love that she hammers metal in her car while at lunch! I'm a little bit terrified of doing her gorgeous cones justice, but if I am fortunate enough to win, I will work harder than I ever have on any challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous cones! I love all of Keirsten's work.

    I want to participate in this particular challenge so I can get to work with one of Kiersten's creations. And as for what I get from blog challenges: lots of friends, lots of experience working with things I have not before and an opportunity to learn from other participants!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOOOH!! I just had a great idea for a design I'd been trying to work out in my mind for MONTHS! I think using a cone would work PERfectly! Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7/12/2012

    I'd love to participate! Keirsten's work is so creative! I would use these cones in a way no one has done before (maybe not, lol - but I would certainly try)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't ever participated in a blog hop because, until fairly recently, I didn't have my own blog, so this would be a great opportunity. I like the idea of a blog hop as a way to focus my creativity and try something new, while meeting a deadline. I have ordered some new beads which would go very nicely with these lovely cones.

    Mistheword.12.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes ma'am, I'd love to participate! I love Keirsten's work and would love to try her cones! I also enjoy doing these types of challenges because it forces me to sit down and use my imagination and make something other than beads!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You Betcha! Minnesoooooota talk. Would love to participate. I love Keirstens work, I drool at her shop often and would love to make something with one of her handmade components.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to participate in this challenge. In particular because Kristen's cones are fabulous! (too personal? lol) I like this sort of challenge in general because it's a good kick in the pants to get me going, and maybe I'll discover something new along the way! Thanks for hosting it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've seen other people use cones to for the conventional purpose of gathering many strands of beads together, but I am looking for a challenge. I have seen other people use cones in unconventional ways and thought I wanted to do this too. And lo and behold I found this challenge. The cones that are being used for this challenge are so eclectic that I hope I am chosen. I also been wanting to take my work to a higher level.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, those cones looks so gorgeous. Keirsten is so clever. I'd just love to get a pair for myself to play around with. I love that you ask us to do something really different. That challenges me in a very positive way. I just love to stretch as far as I can. Beyond. I agree with you, I can see many different uses for these cones. Right now I'm thinking some kind of earrings with a funny weird shape sort of on a slant, and with a cascade of differently colored waxed linen cords pouring out of them. Maybe. Or a necklace ... or ... a tiara with cones for horns ... haha
    For me challenges like these works that I simply just can't resist them. Even when I really should coz I know I will have to much on my plate. It's such plain fun and exciting. And I am ever so grateful for you hosting them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like fun! I would love to participated in this challenge... Please draw my name :)

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are so beautiful and would look great with my handmade lampwork beads. I just love to work in copper and these would mix perfectly with my rustic look. My hand is raised high so please pick me :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just retired from 35 years of teaching and moved to a house on an ocean beach, where now I get to make jewelry full-time. Now that I am not working, I can devote quality time and energy to creating jewelry and blogging. A challenge is a perfect way for me to kick off this new phase in my life. I love seeing how everyone interprets their vision for use of the same components. It's a great way for artists to learn and grow.

    Seeing those cool cones has already inspired me. I love the etching and the curls. I'd love to be "cone-ing" - that is, participating with others in a challenge using cones!

    I just started converting my teaching/classroom blog into a jewelry blog (lots more work to do on it): http://englishrocks2.edublogs.org/

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this idea! I am really excited and have even started tossing ideas around in my head. The cones a beautiful and very unique. I even have some finding that will go great with those cones. I really hope I win, and thank you for the chance. I can't wait to see what all the designers create!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love to participate in this challenge because I think her work is pure artistry! Her style is different than anyone else's, and I admire that! I also like to stretch myself, make something different and "out of my comfort zone", and blog hops push me to do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm new to challenges, these cones are really beautiful, they will inspire me to go beyond what I usually create, beyond the 'safe' zone! Please count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would LOVE to be picked - doing challenges like this gives me the chance to play with wonderful artist made beads!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am loving the rich hues of this copper...and I need some inspiration! I've already got some ideas...let me share in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW! I would LOVE to participate as I love a good challenge, and simply adore Keirsten's work! However, the time frame is too quick for me! :( Looking forward to seeing the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have never competed in a blog challenge before (except for showing off my messy studio) but I fell in love with these cones and would love to have a chance to create something!
    designs by susan
    http://designsbysusan-dbs.blogspot.com/
    www.facebook.com/designsbysusan

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm sorry to have to turn on the word verification here, but I got fed up with spammers comments!

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
Buddha