October 20, 2011

Light Tent

Update:
The doctor's appt yesterday was fine. A bit humiliating. I won't get into all the gory details. But overall, there wasn't anything abnormal. The stress test didn't trigger any palpitations. Heart looks strong. Gotta go back in February for a check up.

The light stand situation was rectified and the seller is shipping me another light stand! YAY!

Today was a great opportunity to try it out since it's gloomy and rainy. So I just attached the light head to the tripod and had a light on each side of the tent.
Now. This is like a whole new beast for me. Its clearly going to take some practice. It's like I have to learn to take pictures all over again.

If you use a light tent and have tips, please feel free to leave comments! I understand these are pretty shitty. So you don't have to comment about that.



This one came out pretty cool. I like this shot because you can see the bird really well. The lights pop.  But there are still some shadows.


Here is one on slate instead. I like it but don't like the glare. Maybe a more matte slate would be better.


This one came out pretty good- I like it on the slate better than on the white.


This bracelet was just a test piece for me. I like the bracelet but hate the pictures. It's hard to photograph a cuff in my opinion.

Took a wide buttery soft piece of leather, and slid on one of Nancy's Round Rabbit buckles. I layered a beautiful Shell button that I got in Madrid, on top of it with some magenta hemp cording.

The best part is the closure. I used 2 brass findings from Diver - attached them to one end of the leather by threading the leather through the half circles and securing it with hemp cording. It's a bit messy. Yea, really crude. I should figure out how to do eyelets but that's another blog post.

So then the strap is adjustable.


The brass findings are cool, like a half circle shape. Here's a link to them at Diver.





Here's the last one. Nice on the slate, still some glare. The white is pretty cool, but for some reason it's grainy. I am still having some trouble with my camera. Once I focus the picture the picture on the viewer goes from perfect light, to very dark and ends up taking a dark picture. Nancy thought it was the light meter in the camera. I just don't know how to fix it and keep forgetting to take it into a shop to see if they can help me.


8 comments:

  1. First, your pieces are just lovely, especially that sweet bracelet with the bird.

    I struggle a lot with photography. Hubby purchased a light tent for me (I guess he was tired of my cursing and throwing things). If I use my flash the photos turn out with a dark yellow tint which is difficult to edit, plus it leaves a glare on shiny beads. If I don't use a flash the photos come out dark. So I guess I'm sayin' that I don't have any suggestions for you, but I do have a question about what type of lights your kit came with. My lights are tungsten(?) and came with the kit, but I'm wondering if I should be changing it up to something else....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheesh, I totally flubbed up here and missed telling you that I'm glad things went well with the doctor appointment. Yep, I'm a dork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a pretty expensive light tent like this, but I never could get it to work. White just doesn't work for my pics. Now I just use the high powered light with the special lightbulbs and point it at my piece of slate. I actually use two pieces of transluscent velum taped over the light to diffuse it. Works great for me. Maybe if you found a different piece of slate that doesn't have a finish on it? Mine is unsealed and it absorbs the light rather than bouncing it. Just a thought. I love the cuff. Bracelets in general are hard for me to photograph, but an inspired design nonetheless.

    Enjoy the day.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I could give you some tips, but I'm still a newbie on taking great pics. Pearl over at BeadingGems did a great post on a light kit a few days ago. You may get some tips from the article that would help.
    Glad the dr. visit went well. And I was wondering if the bee problem ever got resolved....:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photos are very nice.. But I do see a difference in what your natural light photos. I have heard good and bad things about light tents. I was told that you have to get the positioning just right. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use my light tent outside on a table with the natural light streaming in from all sides and then use my own props/papers, etc. for the backdrops.

    I also have a Panasonic Lumix - my 2nd one - and I love them both. They do take great shots.

    I would also suggest taking Kerry Bogert's Snaptastic e-Course. You can find it online at her Kab's Creative Concepts Blog/website. I just started the course and it's really great so far - and she does take the most amazing photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use a light tent and place an unsealed piece of slate in it. I use daylight bulbs at very high wattage - one on either side of the tent and one above. I also turn on every light in the room and they are daylight bulbs, too. Make sure your camera is set to the type of lighting you are using: tungsten, daylight etc. Occasionally I have to put white tissue paper over the window if there is too much glare from outdoors. It took me a lot of experimentation to come up with a system that works consistently, but now I love it! So be persistent. Hope that helps.

    Hope you get to the bottom of the heart palpitations issues quickly. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry to have to turn on the word verification here, but I got fed up with spammers comments!

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
Buddha