Nancy and Lorelei's Challenge

Last Sunday Nancy came up for the day and after we stuffed ourselves with steak, eggs, greens, and homefries, we enjoyed a shopping trip at Michaels. While checking out their bead section, we stumbled on a fabulous idea to have a bit of a challenge.  We each bought a handful of the same beads, and the goal is to make a necklace, with any pendant of our choice, a handmade clasp, and only 2 or 3 additional items besides the beads we bought that day. 

Here is the shot of the beads we got:


My necklace went together lickety split. I was talking to Nancy about her design technique, and it took her a few days to get her design just right. I sat down last night, and it went something like this:

Michael Jackson Tunes came on. Beebopping around the room, I cut all the beads off of their little strands and piled them up in front of me. I cut the beading wire, and started stringing the beads, before I had even come up with a plan on a focal.  Once I got to the front of the necklace, I picked out this cute Joan Miller porcelain Owls pendant. 



It's perfect, if not only because it symbolizes my friendship with Nancy- two owls- two friends, sharing a love of the same thing. I value our friendship so much, I can't tell you how awesome it is just to be able to share an interest with someone. 
 And we also share the same love of the 80s,  and porcelain, and I could definitely see myself with a rabbit, if I didn't have Marley, the psycho cat.



The little pewter oak leaf charm seemed to be a great addition, and I strung it onto the wire a bead away from the focal for a nice asymmetrical accent. I used small burgundy one cut charlotte seed beads in between my beads, and did different beading patterns on each side of the necklace.


Creating my own clasp- the idea scared me a bit,  so I reverted back to one of my button clasps- it speaks well to my design, and also seems to add to my beading style, keeping true to myself.  I had visions at first, of coming up with this crazy artsy fartsy art jewelry necklace- but these ideas were quickly abandoned when I got lost in the Michael Jackson beading groove.


I dangled a small ceramic leaf charm from Erin (Every Heart Crafts) buy the clasp. Overall, I am quite happy with how this turned out! I hope you have enjoyed our little challenge. Check out Nancy's blog to see what she's done with the same beads!

I have thoughts of doing this again but on a larger scale- maybe pick out beads from Michaels and then anyone that wants to participate, can make something with a handful of guidelines, and show them off on your blogs. A bit of a blog hop!?   Feel free to comment if you feel like that would be something fun.

Comments

  1. Love it! Looking at the beads I wasn't sure how the blue shell beads would work, but they really add a nice pop of color sitting next to the dark brown beads.

    Love the clasp and the owl pendant too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohh...blog hop challenge with beads from Michael's?! Michael's would love the idea! Great necklace, both of you. I really like the asymetry. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME!!! I just love the color palette the two of you chose. Great design and I love how each element is harmonious with one another. AND...I feel deeply honored that my little leaf charm is apart of this necklace that has special significance and meaning to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOPS! Oh, and Yes, I would be interested in being apart of any blog hop challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cool! The idea to make this challenge larger would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect! I love your flower and leaf clasp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow such a different take on the beads, from Nancy's, but just as cool! you guys are lucky to be friends, its nice to share interests with someone like that! and as for a challenge/blog hop that would be a lot of fun, can't wait

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love both of your necklaces and it sound like such a fun day! Would love to participate in a Michael's inspired blog hop - was in the store last night and they really have a lot of fun stuff to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, LOVE it!!! It's so you, which means that it is fabulous! Let's do it again. And again. And again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun, fun, fun! I want to play! I love both your necklaces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great necklaces both of you have made! And such a nice and fun challenge between the two of you.

    I would love to be part of a blog hop. Unfortunately I can't buy from Michael's from here in Sweden. But if anyone could think of buying the beads for me and send them to me I would be able to participate. I would be ever so grateful! Anyone volunteering? Or is thhere any other shop possible, one that has a web shop? Gosh I am a demanding person, aren't I. But hey, i can only ask. Totally understand if it's not doable.

    All my best,
    Malin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes Yes Yes a Michael's blog challenge would be awesome! I don't have the access to all the beady goodness that is out there but I have access to Michael's! Please give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would totally be in for a blog hop! Love the necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like a fun challenge! I would love to do that. Let us know when.

    http://mycriticaleye.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think being able to go shopping with a girlfriend and hear their ideas about what you are looking at is so much better than shopping alone. Lurve the owels pendant and the leaf dangles. Are you creeped out by the bone beads when you wear it? :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the necklaces! Would love to participate in a blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have enjoyed the entire sequence of this necklace project. They both came out great and so very different. Loved the video part as well. Would also be happy to participate in a blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  18. And I would be happy to send beads to Malin.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome necklace! Love the color palette and the asymmetry. The little leaf charms and the button you chose for the clasp are the perfect finishing touches!

    And a Michael's blog hop? Sounds fabulous!! Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So beautiful! Although I must say that the owl focal is what draws my eye. But, wait, isn't that the idea of a focal? LOL Okay, so hummm, the beads accent the focal perfectly! What a great necklace :) (And I'm right with you on the '80's groove, dudette!)

    Oh, and yes, what a great idea, a Michael's blog hop - fun, fun! Count me in :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE it! Both of your necklaces are just fantabulous!! :) Such a cool challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. swopemelmel9/23/2010

    Wow I love how the necklaces are so different. They are both amazing. I feel a bit "small minded" because when I looked at the beads my first thought was, oh dear do those go together? Thanks for once again reminding me that they do!!!! I'm up for the challenge, I don't have a blog but I could email pics for you to post. swopemelmel

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great necklace, love the asymmetry and how you have got all the beads to work together.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very beautiful and SO different from Nancy's. Great idea for a blog hop sort of thing.
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  25. The beads that you and Nancy picked out just show what artists you are! You really embellished the term, complimentary colors! Say, I'm quite sure that COW bone is used for those beads you're so freaked over! Not to worry then. Both necklaces are reflections of your individual styles, both stunning. You have something going with the Michael's challenge. Too bad we can't receive special coupons LOL

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous9/24/2010

    Loved it so much, I snapped it up for myself!
    Best regards and greetings from Hong Kong,
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great challenge - and your piece is so typically you. Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love how your necklace turned out! I think a Michaels bead challenge would be tons of fun. I would participate for sure! I hope you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a perfectly wonderful necklace. Love the assymetry and it is wonderful wearable. Kind of a Fall "go to" necklace.

    There is nothing like friends who share our interests, is there? I have so few who share my jewelry and creating interests. My daughter, of course, but we seem to go in and out of beading phases. Like, right before a sale, we go a little nuts!

    I am anxious to see your friend's creation...will hope over there.

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a perfectly wonderful necklace. Love the assymetry and it is wonderful wearable. Kind of a Fall "go to" necklace.

    There is nothing like friends who share our interests, is there? I have so few who share my jewelry and creating interests. My daughter, of course, but we seem to go in and out of beading phases. Like, right before a sale, we go a little nuts!

    I am anxious to see your friend's creation...will hope over there.

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  31. That would be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You and Nancy are a perfect pair for a challenge like this...both such distinctive styles!! Love your result. Hoot!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm sorry to have to turn on the word verification here, but I got fed up with spammers comments!

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
Buddha