Art Bead Scene Design Team

What is the Design Team Challenge?
We each get beads from one of the ABS Contributors.

June designers were: Moi, Erin Prais-Hintz, Cindy Wimmer, Lori Anderson, and Jennifer Judd
We have two weeks to create a piece of jewelry that use the beads we were sent.
Then we blog about it.
And here, is my post about the June challenge!




We each received beads from the ever popular and talented, Heather Powers of Humblebeads. Always psyched to get Humblebeads in the mail, I was thrilled to see this lovely set of disc beads, and one of Heather's handmade, painted Willow pendants! I forgot to take a pic of just the beads so here is the one that Cindy Wimmer took.


Playing off the softness of the beads, I used some soft suede lacing that I had gotten from Ornamentea. Creating links with 2 sections of leather, folded the sections and wrapped the center of each section with some brass wire. Working them in asymmetrically, I wire wrapped the Disc Beads, with some pale orange aventurine rounds. At the back of the necklace, I hand knotted more aventurine and some dyed burgundy buri seeds, and used a brass magnetic clasp to finish the piece off.  Instead of trying to figure out what to do with the linen cording tails, I put them to good use, and added a few brass cubes on each one and knotted the ends.  This adds a nice little added fringey element that I love!


 The Willow pendant is wire wrapped and dangling from a large Vintaj Brass jump ring, along with a cool flower connector from Elaine Ray.




 Such a fun challenge, but what I loved most was seeing everyone put their own spin on the beads we were all given. Different designs, all fabulous in their own way! Check out what everyone made here at the Art Bead Scene!

Comments

  1. This is gorgeous. If you have inspired a burned out bead chick like me, you have done your job - and you've done it well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you used the suede lacing! Very inspiring and lovely piece, congratulations:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, nice to see all the diffrent designs. I like the addition of the leather. Great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, L! That is awesome! Love the suede lace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Lorelei this is a great design!! I love the way that you combine the different elements!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. soft and natural looking....you did well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful necklace, Lorelei. I love the soft colors and the asymmetrical design that perfectly compliment the gorgeous Humblebeads beads. Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration!

    :-) Molly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jaw dropping loveliness every single time. I love this! The colors are soft and pretty and I love your description of how you dealt with the ends. That always trips me up. I think these pictures show it better than what was on the ABS site.
    Thanks for inspiring me to day!
    Enjoy the day.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did Heather's beads and pendant proud. The colors are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So soft and lovely!
    As always, I love your mix of textures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a fun challenge! It was really neat to see which features or colors that each designer chose to play up in their designs....I like how you added those deep-colored buri nut beads along the back of the necklace and the subtle hand-knotted element.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad I got to be a part of the team! I agree...I loooove your use of texture on this piece. Plus, I think your design really puts the Humblebeads in the spotlight. I was worried about losing the excitement of them in my design...thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so wonderful what you made!!
    Lovely Lorelei!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the combination of the softness of the bead color and the suede. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your design Lorelei. The mix of leather gives it the perfect earthy touch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those leather links are amazing. So innovative. I like your idea of wire wrapping leather and ribbon and other soft materials rather than just as stringing devices. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm sorry to have to turn on the word verification here, but I got fed up with spammers comments!

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
Buddha