March 27, 2008
Etsy Artisan Interview: Mincing Mockingbird
I had the excellent opportunity to interview Mincing Mockingbird this week. I know you've seen the awesome mini paintings and magnets of every bird species, up close and personal, with hilarious sayings and huge personality. Read on and Enjoy!
1) Tell me as much or as little about yourself as you feel comfortable with… I live in L.A., I read at stoplights, I'm afraid of what I'd do to my smoking, loud-mouthed neighbor if the restraints of society fell away like a curtain. I also like art!
2) What inspires you? I'm inspired by my fiancee. If she likes it, or better yet, if I can make her laugh - golden. I'm more inspired than ever since finding Etsy.com, of making a connection with like-minded people around the world. Around the WORLD! It blows my mind each and every day.
3) How would you describe your craft and style? I paint birds, in a semi-realistic style. I paint in acrylics, mostly, though I also do pyrography (that's "fancy" for woodburning) and sculpture and altered art. My fiancee just bought a Gocco printer, so I'll probably be doing that soon.
4) How long have you been creating? Since I was knee high to an ostrich.
5) Is this a job or a hobby? Technically it is a hobby, since I do it at night and on the weekends. L.A.'s a pricey town, and I have a rather nasty Coke habit (Diet Coke, with lime) that I need to feed. So I have a 9 to 5 job. I would love to do art full time and look forward to that day with a feverish kind of rabid frothing.
6) What are your Etsy goals? My Etsy goals are to keep making new and exciting work and to reach out to more and more people. Like I said before, it's not the money that drives me - it's receiving feedback like "better than a lapdance" and "disturbing yet essential" that drives me. People that "get it." I may go through an entire day of human interaction where "Population-thinning super-virus, where art thou?" is my only thought, but I get home and I see someone's bought a magnet, or a set of books, and they're from Australia or France or NYC or Texas or London, and that just blows my mind. It's just the best.
7) What advice do you have for fellow Etsians? Make what you want. Get out of Etc. and get some work done.
Published by Lorelei Eurto